Friday, May 19, 2017

May 2017 - A Year of Card Making Techniques - World of Watercolors




Welcome to A Year of Card Techniques Blog Hop where each month we feature a different card technique. We’ve assembled a team of card makers who range from new to advanced, so you’ll see a great variety of cards and ideas.

For May, we are venturing into the world of watercolor. There are so many watercolor techniques available to us today; far too many to list here. But actions speak louder than words; so our team has worked with their favorite mediums to bring you lots of examples and loads of inspiration.

If you would like to check out our past technique hops, you can do that here:
We have an amazing sponsor this month, Jodie Park of Close to My Heart: 
Image may contain: text
Please take a moment to check out the great products Close to My Heart has to offer. To visit Jodie on Facebook page, just click here


And the awesome prize this month is: 


We really appreciate feedback, so please leave a comment on each of the blogs in the hop today. One winner will be chosen from all comments on the hop as of May 26, 2017. The winner will be announced in our June hop; so be sure to come back next month. 

And speaking of winners, the lucky hopper from last month is Golden Goddess Designs; picked by Random Name Picker. Congratulations! Please get in touch with last month’s sponsor, Wilma Payne at wpayne@email.com, by May 26th to claim your prize. 

You should have arrived here from Candy Scraps.  If you're visiting here first, you might want to start at the beginning so you don't miss a thing and increase your chances of winning by commenting on each blog.


I tried a few different watercolor projects using distress inks in the form of ink pads and markers.  While I have watercolor paints, I just find these to be economical, and they blend fabulously.

First up is a card I made using a Bokeh technique.  I went with some bright colors:


I used distress markers for this card, and merely scribbled on the watercolor paper.  Then I sprayed with water, and it was one ugly mess.  I promise you . . . ugly.  But then the white pigment ink comes in, and the results are always awesome.  I used a mix of different circle stamps with my white ink. 


My second watercolor card was one using a stencil.  I can't tell you where the stencil came from, as I no longer have the packaging.  For this card I used watercolor paper and distress inks in a variety of colors.  I sponged the inks onto the stencil, and then I sprayed with water and let it dry. 


I added some sequins in matching colors, and then a combination die/stamp sentiment.  


My final card is watercolor painting of an image.  I am a HUGE fan of House Mouse stamps, and I typically will color them using my distress ink pads.  I smear the ink pad on a craft mat, spray with water, and then I color away.  The colors blend, so you can make any shade you want. 


One tip that helps me when coloring . . . I stamp my images on watercolor paper using a pigment ink, and then I heat emboss clear powder.  It helps to stay in the lines.  


I was your very last stop! We all hope you had fun and thanks for stopping by. See you next month with another technique! 

I hope you find some time to create today.  
Here’s the full line-up in case you get lost:

Supplies Used - Sunshine
Cardstock:  Bazzill and Bee Watercolor
Stamps:  Bring on the Sunshine from Simon Says Stamp
Dies:  Pure Sunshine by Simon Says Stamp
Ink:  Simon Says Stamp White Pigment Ink, My Favorite Things Black and Ranger Distress Markers
Other:  Pretty Pink Posh Sequins


Supplies Used - You Are Appreciated
Stamps:  All About You (CAS-ual Fridays)
Ink: Distress Inks (Ranger)
Paper:  Solar White (Neenah), Watercolor Paper (Bee), Licorice (The Stamps of Life)
Accessories:  2 You's Die (CAS-ual Fridays) and Sequins (Pretty Pink Posh)



Supplies Used - You Got This
Stamps:  You Matter (My Creative Time) and Balloon Trio (House Mouse Designs from Stampendous)
Ink:  Black Onyx (Versafine) and Zig Watercolor Markers (Kuretake)
Paper:  Basic Black (Stampin' Up) and Canson Watercolor Paper
Accessories:  Clear Embossing Powder (Ranger), Charcoal and Sparkling Clear Sequins (Pretty Pink Posh), Red Ribbon (The Stamps of Life)

15 comments:

  1. As always, Debbie, you rocked this technique and your cards are wonderful. Glad you're hopping with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible cards, Debbie. I love all your cards but you really knocked it out of the park with Card #3. It helps that I love House Mouse, too, but I've never been that successful at coloring them. Thanks for hopping along with us this month.

    Sharon
    A Piece Of (my) Heart Blog
    **Make sure to visit my blog to grab some really great FREE Digi Sentiments.**

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful cards Debbie. I really like the effect of the stencil. Never thought of using my stencils this way. Thank you for joining our hop and sharing your creativity with us. Like always it is a pleasure hopping with you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your cards. The House Mouse one is adorable! I want to try the stamping and heat embossing before water coloring now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous work! I really appreciate the idea of using a stencil that way - I believe I'm going to head off and give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh! the realism of those balloons! and the 3 d effect on the "ball" one-AMAZING! I have to go play with watercolors now!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love House Mouse stamps too, but haven't been too successful coloring them as I've always just used markers. I'll have to try it your way, because yours looks really awesome. I like all your cards, but I think my favorite is the one you made with the stencil. That made such a unique and colorful background, perfect for your sentiment. My technique to-do list is getting longer and longer! Thanks so much for your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful cards! I really do need to try the Bokeh (spelling? but too lazy to scroll up... lol!). Thanks for sharing and see ya next month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that background! I need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The mice are so cute and I like the idea of clear embossing to stay inside the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great cards! I love House Mouse stamps, too! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great cards! Love all of the colors! My favorite is the first card, love that bokeh technique.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, that Bokeh background is just sick. I love it!!! I am so trying that!

    ReplyDelete