Sunday, December 4, 2011

Getting My Mojo On - Mojo Monday 217

With my Positive Realist Project underway, I decided it was time to look at participating in a challenge, as I have not done one in quite some time.  So I decided to get my Mojo on with the Mojo Monday sketch challenge.  Note that I realized I wouldn't make the deadline, but I wanted to play along anyway (it's not about deadlines . . . it's about creating).  



No being in a round mood, I went for the square sketch.  There were two things I wanted to accomplish . . .

1) I wanted to try out a new technique . . . chevron stripes.  I had seen the technique featured a few places over the years.  Recently a few paper crafters on a board on Stamp Nation had been talking about it, so I had to give it a shot; and 
2) I wanted to do something masculine.

I was looking for masculine paper and stripes (for my chevron stripes)!  Imaginisce had a fabulous line called Bon Voyage that had been calling me.  I chose that one stripe paper (which had a stamp print on the bottom), three coordinating colors of cardstock and a package of the stickers to embellish.  Using the sketch above, here is my design:


Now . . . you might be saying that I missed an element of the sketch.  But the real element I wanted to showcase was my chevron stripes which make up that top panel.  It was created by cutting diagonal strips in two different directions, and then adhering those to a scrap of paper.  I love the look! 


And here is a view from another angle.  The paper has a glossy embossed coating, which really makes the design pop!  


I wanted to finish up the job by using the remaining paper and stickers to make up some additional masculine cards.  This first one has a pop up airplane on the inside (see second photo).


When closed, the airplane covers the sentiment . . . and then moves as you open/close the card.
And then two other designs, the second of which also has chevron stripes.  



So with three sheets of cardstock, one sheet of double-sided paper, and a package of dimensional stickers . . . job done!  I can't wait to try the technique using another striped paper, and I'm glad that I accomplished some masculine cards (which are not always easy for me to create). 

I will be checking in on Wednesday or Thursday with my progress on my PR Project!  Stay tuned.

1 comment: