Sunday, August 7, 2011

Check out the 5 & Dime

I remember the term "5 & Dime" store, although when I was growing up in the 60's, there wasn't much that you could get for a nickel or a dime, except penny candy (that wasn't a penny). 

What a thrill this month to be able to design pages with the New England Scrapbook Company Kit, full of October Afternoon 5 & Dime paper and embellishments, along with coordinating ribbons and Bazzill Cardstock.  This paper is great for present day photos, but it was screaming for me to use my old photos, and that's exactly what I did.  I followed my instincts on this one. 

I seriously have been holding back on the old photos for three reasons . . . 
  1. We had limited photos back then.  You didn't take a lot of photos, because you had to pay for film and development.  You didn't know in advance if your shots came out.  There were no two-inch screens that gave you an idea that all was well.  When you would have them developed and you would anxiously open the envelope, it was like a crap shoot!  You either one the prize . . . or you were seriously disappointed (usually a little bit of both).  
  2. I had a lot of those awkward polaroid's with the white edges or the nearly one-inch bottom borders.  Some of them are super thick.  They seem to be different sizes.  You can't really cut them down because they could crack (and some have cracked and are peeling).  
  3. I had the 110 and 126 photos.  If you have those photos, you know exactly where I'm going with this.  They were the biggest photography disaster ever (in my opinion).  Sure they were beautiful at one time, but now they are faded and orange.  There is little to no color at all under the orange haze. 
So I had a little heart to heart with myself.  Those photos are not going to change; they are what they are.  So I might as well bite the bullet and do something with them.  

My favorite layout of all is this fabulous one of my sister, Tammy, who passed away two years ago.  I am biased.  I believe she was the most beautiful little sister . . . she had beautiful sparkling eyes!  She was a special needs child who never walked or talked.  I would have given the world to have a sister who could run and jump and play.  But growing up with her was full of lessons learned . . . about patience, acceptance, tolerance of others' ignorance, and gratitude for the hand that life deals you.  

In the coming days I will share some of my other layouts using this beautiful and awesome kit!  It really is the perfect compliment to my "mish-mosh" of photos.   

You know what . . .it is all part of our history.  Life isn't perfect, nor are our memories and photos.  A little lesson learned from the 110 and 126 film era . . . 

Sometimes life is a little faded, like our memories.
Thankfully, life is not all orange-y.  



No comments:

Post a Comment